Saturday, December 5, 2009

My Review of Columbia River Guppie Multi-Tool

Originally submitted at REI

This little CRKT Guppie is fat on features. Tackle jobs needing an adjustable wrench, driver bits, LED light, knife and more!


Sub-Par for CRKT

By Kryzm from Worcester, Massachusetts on 12/5/2009

 

2out of 5

Gift: No

Pros: Functional

Cons: Difficult To Clean, Useless Tools

Best Uses: Home

Describe Yourself: Avid Adventurer

I bought this product a year ago, and when I took it out of the packaging, I immediately knew that it was not something I would carry. While the Guppy does have many tools, none of them are quite nearly as useful as a stand alone version of that tool. For instance, the wrench is very loose, the bottle opener breaks bottles, the carabiner opens less than three quarters of an inch, and the bit holder/LED falls off easily. I took a small piece of plastic cord to attach the bit holder to the carabiner, to keep from losing it. At some point a few months ago, I decided to take the multitool apart to clean the grime and rust(!) out of the inside, but then found that it is nearly impossible to get the spring back into the blade. My blade is now held shut with a piece of 16 gauge wire. The blade, while sharp out of the box, dulled quickly with normal use. The flimsy belt clip bent outward very easily, and it affixed with three small torx screws, making it too much of a hassle to fix.

My conclusion, this is a bulky, oddly shaped version of a $3 leatherman rip off I bought at a dollar store. I give it a 2/5 though, because it has gotten me out of more jams than I care to admit, and I love the CRKT knife I bought prior to this purchase.

(legalese)

No comments:

Post a Comment